This locomotive was built in 1937 for Manchester Corporation Electricity Department. It became No 3 Coronation at the Stuart Street Power Station in Manchester.
The 13½ ton locomotive has 11 inch x 16 inch outside cylinders and 2 feet 9½ inch driving wheels.
The power station became part of the British Electricity Authority in April 1948, Central Electricity Authority in April 1955 and the Central Electricity Generating Board (CEGB) in April 1958.
In June 1973 it was sent to the CEGB′s Willow Holme Power Station in Carlisle as spare locomotive to two large 0-6-0 Fireless Andrew Barclay engines.
It moved to the Tanfield Railway in January 1977, where it received the name Irwell. It saw regular use on the railway for a number of years, and was particularly well suited to the early Marley Hill – Sunniside operation, being of ideal size for the workload.
It could, however, be argued that Irwell is deceptively small as in May 1991, it hauled seven carriages from Causey Arch up the steep incline to Andrews House, coming within less than 100m from the platform before requiring assistance at the rear.
Following the locomotives withdrawal from regular service, it was dismantled and stored in large pieces around Marley Hill. It currently remains in this dismantled state, awaiting a full overhaul in the future.
|1672 at the Tanfield Railway – August 1989|
|1672 at the Tanfield Railway – August 2018|