See LNER class J94 for details.
This locomotive was built in 1944, to a Hunslet Engine Company design, by Hudswell Clarke for the Ministry of Defence. It then entered service as WD71499 when it was delivered to the Ministry of Fuel & Power for use at Darton opencast coalmine in Yorkshire in June 1944.
Soon afterwards it moved to Garswood Hall Colliery Co at Wigan before going to Hoyland Moor opencast mine at Elsecar in Yorkshire in August 1945.
In March 1948 the locomotive was moved to Peel Hall Screens at little Hulton in Lancashire before going back to Yorkshire in February 1952 to Barnoldswick opencast mine. By this time the locomotive was owned by the National Coal Board.
The engine then spent time at Lancashire where by March 1966 it had acquired the name Harry when seen at Walkden Workshops.
After being employed at Tyldeand Asstley Green collieries the locomotive was seen out of service in storage at Walkden in 1973 and 1974.
In February 1976 the locomotive moved to J K Holt & Gorden Ltd at Chequerbent, Bolton for preservation.
In 1982 it was observed on a plinth at Chequerbent where it was noted to still be seven years later.
It is currently being restored by Bryn Engineering and is planned to be used on the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway.