This locomotive was built in 1949 by Hudswell Clarke as one of a batch of three similar locomotives purchased by the Northumberland Area of the National Coal Board (NCB). They had 17 inch x 24 inch outside cylinders and 3 feet 9 inch wheels and a working weight of 44 tons 10 cwt.
This locomotive was NCB No 38 and was delivered new to Rising Sun Colliery at Wallsend where it worked on the one and a quarter mile line to the British Railways Blyth & Tyne line , 1 mile North of Percy Main.
In April 1955 or September 1953 (opinions differ!) it moved to the locomotive shed at Backworth Colliery, returning in April 1956. Prior to the closure of Rising Sun Colliery in April 1969, it moved to Burradon locomotive sheds in November 1968, before moving to Bates Colliery at South Blyth on the Northumberland Coast by January 1971. Its stay here was only two months before it was moved to Shilbottle Colliery in North Northumberland in March 1971. Here it was known as a poor steamer, no doubt due to her boiler not being washed out very often, if at all.
In October 1973 the locomotive was sold to the Tanfield Railway and moved to Marley Hill where it was dismantled in preparation for overhaul. The overhaul did not happen and No 38 was stored for many years in the yard at Marley Hill without any work taking place.
In 2012, the Rising Sun Locomotive Trust (RSLT) was formed by a group of four Tanfield Volunteers with a view to restoring No.38 to working order for use on the Tanfield Railway. In the same year, a boiler examination was undertaken, the RSLT took ownership of the locomotive and work to restore the locomotive commenced.
Whilst good progress has been made on the restoration of the project it is still in progress.
In November 2018 it was reported that work on restoring the locomotive at the Tanfield Railway had restarted. The immediate aim is to re-wheel the frames.