This locomotive was built by Hudswell Clarke in 1955 to a design used for the supply of locomotives to the Port of London Authority (PLA).
This locomotive was bought by the National Coal Board (NCB) and worked at Newmarket Colliery, Near Wakefield. Here it carried the number S102 and worked alongside S103 (Hudswell Clarke Work Number 1864) which was built to the same design.
The locomotive was named Cathryn.
It worked at the Colliery until 1969. During its time there it underwent occasional repairs at the central workshops (NCB Allerton Bywater).
Following some repairs the locomotive was moved in 1969 to St Johns Colliery in Wakefield and it worked there and at Park Hill Colliery in Wakefield.
The locomotive was taken out of service in March 1977 and then went into store at S Harrison, Tinsley before moving on to the South Yorks Preservation Society at Penistone.
This example, number S102 (works number 1884/55), named Cathryn, was purchased in 1944 for work at Newmarket Colliery, Stanley, Wakefield, where it worked, except for until 1969, with its sister locomotive S103 1864/52. After repairs it was then drafted to St Johns Colliery, Wakefield and it alternated between there and Park Hill Colliery, Wakefield, until the end of its working life in March 1977. It has been in store at S. Harrison, Tinsley; then the South Yorks Preservation Society at Penistone which was established in 1979 but ceased to exist in 1995.
It then went to Meadowhall before moving on to the Elsecar Steam Railway.
It is now based on the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway where it is being restored.