This locomotive was built in 1909 by Hudswell Clarke for William Baird & Co Ltd to work at the Bedlay Colliery in East Dunbartonshire. The mine supplied coking coal to the company’s iron-smelting works at Gartsherrie at Coatbridge. As the mining of coking coal was rare in Scotland the mine survived until 1981.
The Bedlay Colliery was subsequently opened by the National Coal Board on nationalisation of the industry. The locomotive ended its working days owned by the the NCB Fife area.
It is now part of an open air display at Summerlee Museum of Scottish Industrial Life (formerly known as the Sumerlee Heritage Park) in Coatbridge.
|895 at Sumerlee Heritage Park – May 2011|