This locomotive was built in 1942 by the Hunslet Engine Company to work at the Linby Colliery in Nottinghamshire.
In 1959 it moved to work at the Bestwood Colliery before going on to Gedlong Colliery a year later. Both of these collieries were in Notinghamshire.
It was purchased by Titanic Steam Ship Enterprises and moved to Ecclestone, Staffordshire.
In 1980 it was sold for scrap to Jeremy Walker scrap merchants of Witney, Oxfordshire, but was rescued and moved to the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway at Toddington in June 1981.
Painted red, the locomotive was restored at Toddington and became the first steam locomotive for over 30 years to reach Cheltenham Race Course in February 2001.
King George was moved to Didcot in December 2011 and is currently dismantled for overhaul.
It is expected that following the current overhaul the locomotive will appear as Thomas The Tank Engine but the parts necessary to return it to a red saddletank will be retained.
In April 2022 it was understood that the overhaul would be completed during 2022 and it steamed again in June of that year.