This locomotive was built in 1943 by the Hunslet Engine Company for the Ministry of Defence. It then entered service as WD 75015.
See LNER class J94 for details.
Following it no longer being required by the Minitry of Defence the locomotive was sold to the National Coal Board.
It appears to have entered service as a preserved locomotive on the Strathspey Railway but appears to have operated for a limited period. Here it ran as number 48. It was taken out of service in 1980 when it was described as being in a poor condition and has been stored ever since. It is currently stored at Boat of Garten.
In April 2018 the locomotive moved to the Aln Valley Railway. It is planned that it will initially be cosmetically restored and that its overhaul will start in 2020.
|2864 on the Strathspey Railway -August 1980|