This locomotive was built in 1943 by the Hunslet Engine Company for the Ministry of Defence. It then entered service as WD 75031.
See LNER class J94 for details.
The locomotive was based at Long Marston and then at Central Ammunition Depots (CAD) at Longtown.
After the end of the Second World War very many Austerity locomotives were no longer required by the Ministry of Defence and they were sold off.
This locomotive was no exception and it came into the ownership of E C Steel Ltd of Hamilton who sold it in 1961 for use at Polkemmet Colliery at Whitburn in Linlithgowshire. It spent the rest of its working life based at Polkemmet before being acquired by the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway.
At the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway it was given the number 17.
This locomotive is currently in store awaiting a major overhaul and is at present partially dismantled. There are no plans to restore this locomotive to operational use at the present time.
|2880 at NCB Polkemmet, West Lothian – August 1975|