This locomotive was built in 1884 by Hunslet Engine Company. It spent is working life as Hobbarrow No 5 at the Hobbarrow mine at Millom.
This mine was one of the most successful iron ore mines in Cumberland (now Cumbria) not only for the amount of ore that was excavated but also for the quality of the Haematite.It was not the first such mine at Millom but earlier mines had had little success. The Hobbarrow Mining Company was formed around 1855. One of the biggest problems at Hodbarrow was due to water and when the old workings collapsed the low lying areas flooded leaving the company with very little choice but to press on and in 1868 extra boreholes were sank and a huge body of Haematite was discovered.
The Hodbarrow mine ceased production in 1967 after 112 years and the following year the iron works closed.
The locomotive was last in service in the 1960s but is now being restored at the Stratfold Barn Railway.