This locomotive was built in 1952 by the Hunslet Engine Company to the design used to supply to the Ministry of Defence and is thus regarded as an Austerity type locomotive.
See LNER class J94 for details.
The locomotive was purchased by the National Coal Board (NCB) and was used at Peckfield Colliery, Micklefield.
The locomotive moved to the Embsay & Bolton Steam Railway (E&BASR) around 1976 and was one of the main engines for the railway since then. It was withdrawn from service for an overhaul around 1984 after which it entered service again in December 1989
Towards the end of 1999 the locomotive was discovered to have a crack in its firebox which was deemed to be unrepairable. As it was nearing the end of its boiler certificate, a decision was made to withdraw the engine, pending a full overhaul and the fitting of a new firebox.
Subsquently the boiler was sent away for the necessary work to be undertaken whilst the chassis was worked on at the E&BASR. The boiler was returned in 2008.
Work on the overhaul continues.