This locomotive was built in 1952 for the National Coal Board (NCB) by the Hunslet Engine Company to the design used to supply to the Ministry of Defence and is thus regarded as an Austerity type locomotive.
See LNER class J94 for details.
It has carried the BR number 68030 for much of its life in preservation. The real 68030 was built by the Hunslet Engine Company in 1945 and was scrapped in 1962.
It appears to have spent is early days in preservation based on the Churnet Valley Railway but it has also spent time on a number of other heritage railways including-
- East Lancs Railway
- Llangollen railway
- Strathspey Railway
- Barrow Hill Roundhouse
It has also spent time at the Crewe Heritage Centre
It was being stored on the Churnet Valley Railway in readiness for an overhaul but it is understood that due to problems between the owning group and the railway the locomotive has been moved back to the Llangollen Railway.