This locomotive was built in 1953 for the National Coal Board (NCB) by the Hunslet Engine Company to the design used to supply to the Ministry of Defence and is thus regarded as an Austerity type locomotive.
See LNER class J94 for details.
This locomotive started its working life with the National Coal Board (NCB) and it spent many years operating at NCB South Hetton Colliery, County Durham. Diesel power was introduced at the colliery around 1969 but not without a few problems with the diesels meant that some steam working continued here for a while longer.
After finishing its working life with the NCB it was acquired by the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway.
The locomotive is currently in store on the Embsay & Bolton Railway awaiting restoration.