This locomotive was built in 1953 for the Ministry of Defence by the Hunslet Engine Company to the design used to supply to the Ministry of Defence and is thus regarded as an Austerity type locomotive.
See LNER class J94 for details.
This locomotive spent much of its working life on the Longmoor Military Railway (LMR) in Hampshire. It gained stardom in the film The Great St Trinian’s Train Robbery when it appeared with and a number of St Trinian’s pupils on the footplate.
The locomotive was purchased for preservation on the Mid Hants Railway where it was named Errol Lonsdale in March 1978 by Major General Errol Lonsdale, Colonel Commandant of the Royal Corps of Transport from 1969 – 1974.
It moved to the South Devon Railway (SDR) early in the days of operation by the South Devon Railway Trust and was soon put into service hauling even the heaviest trains. It was repainted from LMR blue livery and given BR black livery and the number 68011 although it was never owned by BR. The real 68011 was built in 1944 by the Hunslet Engine Company and was scrapped in 1965.
The locomotive was sold by the SDR in 2009 and in 2017 was in northern Belgium at the Stoomcentrum
|3796 on the Longmoor Military Railway – June 1968|
|3796 moving off the Coaling Stage at Longmoor Depot – October 1969|