This locomotive was built in 1954 for the National Coal Board (NCB) by the Hunslet Engine Company to the design used to supply to the Ministry of Defence and is thus regarded as an Austerity type locomotive.
See LNER class J94 for details.
This locomotive was named Glendower whilst owned by the NCB. It was employed at a number of collieries before being withdrawn from service at Hafodyrynys in Monmouthshire in 1973. The mine itself was closed in 1966.
It was purchased for preservation and originally it was moved to Bristol before going to the Dart Valley Railway (now the South Devon Railway) at Buckfastleigh in 1978. It proved to be a useful addition to the fleet there as its power made it capable of working heavier trains.
It remained a regular performer on the line in the early days of the South Devon Railway until 1995 when it was taken out of service for major boiler work.
The locomotive spent many years in storage away from public access but by early 2011 it had been cosmetically restored and put on display at Buckfastleigh where it still resides.