This locomotive was built in 1954 for the National Coal Board (NCB) by the Hunslet Engine Company to the design used to supply to the Ministry of Defence and is thus regarded as an Austerity type locomotive.
See LNER class J94 for details.
This locomotive was employed by the NCB in Fife. Initially it was used at Michael Colliery.
It is known to have been used at NCB Wellesley Washery at Methil where there was an exchange siding with BR. Following the closure of Wellesley Washery the locomotive moved to NCB Comrie Colliery in 1971. It was still at Comrie in 1981 but by that time was not used much as a diesel shunter on hire from BR undertook most of the work. Comrie Colliery closed in 1986.
The locomotive was acquired from Comrie Colliery by the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway where it has been restored and fitted with a lempor type exhaust which has dramatically improved its steaming ability.
For a short period it did run as BR 68019 although it was never owned by BR. The real 68019 was built by W G Bagnall in 1944 and scrapped in 1965.
The locomotive is currently operational.