This locomotive was built in 1955 for the National Coal Board (NCB) by the Hunslet Engine Company to the design used to supply to the Ministry of Defence and is thus regarded as an Austerity type locomotive.
See LNER class J94 for details.
This locomotive started it working life with the NCB SE division Kent local field as No 9. In 1954 it was transferred to Betteshanger Colliery Near Deal. It remained there until December 1972 when it moved to Snowdon Colliery SE of Aylesham.
In preservation it moved to the Great Central Railway in November 1981. It was overhauled there and it was noted that the boiler and firebox were numbered 68009. 68009 was built by the Hunslet Engine Company in 1944 (Works No 3158) and was scrapped in 1962 but was not one of the six locomotives sold by BR to the coal industry.
During the period 1990-1993 the locomotive operated on a number of heritage railways including: Birmingham Railway Museum (Tyseley), South Devon Railway and the East Lancs Railway.
In November 1993 the locomotive moved to North Norfolk Railway
In December 2004 it was purchased by two Directors of the Stainmore Railway Company.
In 2005 the locomotive operated on the: Battlefield Line, Vale of Glamorgan Line and Barrow Hill Roundhouse. In the following year it visited the Chasewater Railway and the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway.
The locomotive is currently awaiting overhaul at Kirkby Stephen East and work will start on it once the engine shed has been completed.