This locomotive was built in 1955 for the National Coal Board (NCB) by the Hunslet Engine Company to the design used to supply to the Ministry of Defence and is thus regarded as an Austerity type locomotive.
See LNER class J94 for details.
This locomotive was supplied new to NCB Scottish Division, Area 7, at the Michael Colliery where it was given the number 20 but was later renumbered 21. The colliery was closed in September 1967 following a fire which killed nine miners. At that time 2,000 people were employed there.
It the spent the rest of its working life at Comrie Colliery where it was given the number 5.
The locomotive was acquired by the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway in 1985.
It was dismantled for some time with no plans to restore the locomotive.
In March 2020 the locomotive moves south after being bought by a private owner who intends to restore it.