This locomotive was built in 1958 for Stewarts and Lloyds Minerals Ltd by the Hunslet Engine Company to the design used to supply to the Ministry of Defence and is thus regarded as an Austerity type locomotive.
See LNER class J94 for details.
The locomotive was employed at the company’s ironstone quarries railway where it was given the name Juno. It operated until withdrawn from service in 1968 when it was declared redundant.
Juno was purchased in 1969 by the Ivatt Trust and moved to the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre at Quainton Road.
After running for a number of years the locomotive was out of service for many years The Ivatt LocomotiveTrust transferred ownership of Juno to The Isle of Wight Steam Railway in 2009.
In November 2010 the locomotive was placed on loan to the National Railway Museum as it is the last untouched and original example of the class Austerity locomotives. It is currently on static display at Locomotion at Shildon. It will be conserved in the museum´s Conservation Workshop when time permits.