This locomotive was built in 1954 for the National Coal Board by the Hunslet Engine Company to the design used to supply to the Ministry of Defence and is thus regarded as an Austerity type locomotive.
See LNER class J94 for details.
It was originally ordered for the Savile Colliery near Leeds on February 1953. The order was changed in April to despatch the locomotive to Glasshoughton Colliery, where it was delivered to in November 1954.
The locomotive saw typicial NCB action during it’s career at the colliery. It was returned to Hunslet in 1963 for minor repair work, and whilst there, it was fitted with a Hunslet Patent Underfeed stoker and gas producing equipment. It was returned to Glasshoughton in March 1964. Shortly afterwards, it was damaged in a collision with Glasshoughton No.1, a diesel, and spent its latter days out of use in the shed.
In June 1973 the locomotive was sold and moved to Lakeside Railway Estates Ltd, Carnforth.
It was sold again and moved to Steamport at Southport in December 1982. Extensive repairs enabled the locomotive to re-enter traffic in the early 1990s. It then begin a number of tours around various railways, initially at the Battlefield line in 1994, and the onto Pontypool & Blaenevon in 1995 and 1996. After this it was used at the Foxfield Railway in Staffordshire, where it was stripped in preparation for overhaul.
The locomotive was partially re-assembled, and a boiler-less engine returned to the Ribble Steam Railway in Spring 2006.
As of the summer of 2020 the locomotive was awaiting an overhaul at the Ribble Steam Railway.