This locomotive was built by Hunslet Engine Company in 1888 for the Manchester Ship Canal contractors, T A Walker. It originally carried the name Liverpool.
Some years later it was sold to Price, Wills & Reeves and was renamed Hastings.
After a spell on a contract at Immingham Docks the locomotive the locomotive was acquired by the Park Gate Iron & Steel Company in 1915 who used it at the Rotherham
In 1935 Hastings was moved to Sproxton Quarry in Leicestershire where it was the first six-coupled locomotive to be used at the quarry.
By 1957 three locomotives were based at the quarry and Hastings was virtually abandoned.
In 1963 the quarry closed but not before exposing one of the most complete sections of the Middle Jurassic Lincolnshire Limestone Formation, together with the underlying Grantham and Northampton Sand Formations. It is now a geological Site of Special Scientific Interest.
When rail haulage ceased at in October 1963 the owners were approached by the newly-formed Kent & East Sussex Locomotive Trust with a view to preserving the locomotive. The Trust bought Hastings for £250 and a Manning Wardle locomotive (Works No 1955 Charwell) for £280.
Hastings arrived at Tenterden on the Kent & East Sussex Railway in January 1964 and was returned to steam in April 1965 but was not steamed there again.
The locomotive was purchased by a member of the East Essex Preservation Society in September 2002 and subsequently moved to Mangapps Farm Railway Museum for restoration.
The work on restoring Hastings continued at the Mangapps Farm Railway Museum until the locomotive was moved to Elsecar Heritage Railway in March 2018. The boiler was not moved at this time as it was undergoing major repair work at the North Norfolk Railway.
|469 on the Kent & East Sussex Railway – March 1970|
|469 at Wittersham Road on the Kent & East Sussex Railway – September 1974|