This locomotive was built in 1918 by Kerr, Stuart & Company to a design developed by E Borrows & Sons much earlier.
It was bought new to work at the National Shipyard at Chepstow where it spent all of its working life. In 1982 it came under the ownership of Fairfield-Mabey Ltd.
As a result of the number of merchant ships lost in the First World War the government established a number of national shipyards of which Chepstow was one. As a result all shipbuilding companies at Chepstow came under government control.
Theses shipyards were expanded to form National Shipyard Number 1 (Chepstow). Over 6,000 men from the Royal Engineers built the shipyard, and men from Tyneside and the Clyde came to work at the yard. Garden cities were built for the workers in Hardwick, Bulwark and Pennsylvania. The concrete blocks used to construct the houses were produced by German prisoners of war. Camps were built for the workers, along with workshops, a power station and hospital.
In 1925 Fairfield Shipbuilding and Engineering Ltd bought and later dismantled the shipyard. In due course the company became Fairfield-Mabey Ltd who now specialise in steelwork for bridges and other structures.
Subsequently the locomotive moved to the Flour Mill where it was overhauled and returned to steam in 2012. It is now operational and employed as a works shunter at the Flour Mill.
Back to Kerr, Stuart & Company