Built 1926 Foxfield Railway
This locomotive was built by Kerr, Stuart & Company in 1926.
The design is an unusual one, with outside valve gear, no front footplate and a very small saddletank. It was built for the British Gas Light Company’s gas works at Etruria in Stoke-on-Trent to shunt coal wagons from the mainline at Etruria yard, this work having previously been carried out by horses.
In 1949/50 two new small Fowler diesel mechanical locomotives arrived and the Kerr Stuart locomotive was sold on to the Brookfield Foundry & Engineering Company Ltd. This foundry was appropriately located in the former Kerr Stuart works where 4388 had been built twenty four years earlier.
The foundry gradually became inactive and rail traffic ceased in about 1962 and 4388 was stored in a corner of the works for the next twenty years. Eventually when the foundry went into liquidation in late 1982 the locomotive was sold to the Foxfield Railway where it arrived in February 1983.
It was then restored to steam on the Foxfield Railway
The locomotive is currently in store on the Foxfield Railway awaiting an overhaul.
|4388 at the Foxfield Railway – May 2014|