This locomotive was built by Kitson and Co in 1933 to a Manning Wardle design which Kitson acquired when Manning Wardle closed in 1926. The design dates from around 1917 when Manning Wardle built six locomotives for Stewarts and Lloyds to work at the quarry at Corby.
When Kitson and Co stopped building locomotives in 1937 the designs passed to Robert Stephenson Hawthorn which built a further 5 locomotives. The Manning Wardle designs are now owned by the Hunslet-Barclay. The intellectual property rights for historic locomotive designs are held by the Hunslet Engine Company.
The locomotives of this design had 4ft 0in diameter wheels, two 16in inside cylinders and weighed 42tons 17cwt.
The locomotive was supplied new to Stewarts & Lloyds Ltd Corby ironstone quarries.
A number of locomotives supplied to Stewarts & Lloyds Ltd carried the names of Welsh towns in tribute to the Welsh wife of the owner of the company. The names were not displayed in the Welsh language which was not always well received.
In February 1969 it moved to Storefield Quarries where it retained the number 45 but no longer carried the name Colwyn.
In June 1971 the locomotive moved to the North Norfolk Railway where it worked at Sheringham.
In June 1973 the locomotive was used in an episode of Dad’s Army
It was sold in 1985 and arrived at the Northampton & Lamport Railway in July 1985.
It is currently being restored at the Northampton & Lamport Railway.
In the summer of 2020 the locomotive was reported to be on static display at the Northampton & Lamport Railway.