This locomotive was built in 1890 by Manning and Wardle & Co for Llay Hall Colliery near Wrexham. The locomotive is a rare long-boiler engine being one of only two built. The locomotive was rebuilt by Manning Wardle in 1908.
The collier had opened a few years earlier in 1877 and reached its peak in the 1930s when it employed 460 workers. The mine closed almost immediately after it was nationalised in January 1947. The closure followed a series of underground explosions which resulted in five men being badly burned.
The locomotive remained at Llay Hall Colliery until 1966 when it moved to a few miles to Gresford Colliery. Gresford Colliery closed in 1973 because of geological problems.
The locomotives last industrial home was at Bersham Collieery near Wrexham. This was the last working coal mine in the former Denbighshire Coalfield. It closed in 1986 but evidence suggests that this locomotive was not based there as late as that as two diesel locomotives had been in use since 1978.
The locomotive is now owned by the National Coal Mining Museum in Wakefield but is on loan to the Foxfield Railway where it is being stored. It has previously spent time at Barrow Hill Roundhouse.
|1207 at Barrow Hill – February 2014|
|1207 at the Foxfield Railway – May 2018|