This locomotive was built in 1901 by Manning and Wardle & Co and supplied new to the Midland Coal Coke and Iron Co. of Apedale at Newcastle-under-Lyme in Staffordshire.
The locomotive later worked at the British Sugar Wissington Factory. It was still working there in 1964.
In preservation it spent some time at the South Cambridgeshire Railway at Heydon. This was actually a private railway on a farm and didn’t occupy a former railway trackbed or premises. It arrived there in the early 1970s and spent around 40 years there. The locomotive is believed to have last steamed there in 1980 and the area it was stored in became overgrown with trees.
In 2012 the locomotive was purchased by Beamish Museum and moved there in March of that year. At that time it required a cab and chimney.
Currently stored in Colliery Engine Shed at Beamish.