This locomotive was built in 1903 by Manning and Wardle & Co for P.&W. Anderson and Company to use in their contract to build the Kent Portland Cement Works at Stone (near Dartford).
The L class locomotive has 3 ft diameter wheels, two inside 12 in cylinders and weights 20 tons 10 cwt.
The locomotive was sold to the cement company and remained there when the works opened in 1924.
It was used by Associated Portland Cement Manufacturers until 1967 when it moved to the Kent & East Sussex Railway (K&ESR) where it became No 17 and was given the name Arthur.
It was used on the K&ESR in the early days of public services but was too small for general passenger train use and left the railway in 1985.
In preservation it spent time at Peak Rail before being sold to the Middleton Railway in 1989.
At the Middleton Railway much work was done to restore the locomotive including fitting a new boiler. It returned to service in June 2010 and is currently operation with a boiler certificate which is valid until 2020.
|1601 on the Middleton Railway – September 2017|