This locomotive was built in 1921 by Manning and Wardle & Co and supplied to Stewarts and Lloyds, Minerals Corby. This followed the successful use of earlier Manning and Wardle locomotives (MW1316 and MW1317) in 1895.
Further locomotives were supplied to the same Manning and Wardle design but as Manning and Wardle had ceased trading later ones were supplied by Kitson and then Robert Stephenson and Hawthorn limited following the closure of Kitsons.
A number of locomotives supplied to Stewarts & Lloyds Ltd carried the names of Welsh towns in tribute to the Welsh wife of the owner of the company. The names were not displayed in the Welsh language which was not always well received. This locomotive was given the name Rhyl.
It was withdrawn from service at Corby in 1968.
In 2003 the locomotive was transported to the Great Central Railway (Nottingham) at Ruddington in partially dismantled state.
Work on restoring the locomotive is continuing at Ruddington.
|2009 at Rowsley South on Peak Rail – April 2003|