This locomotive was built in 1882 by Neilson & Co and delivered to William Baird & Co at Bedlay Colliery near Glenboig, where it was given the No 11.
In 1938 the company was reorganised and entered voluntary liquidation. William Baird and Co Ltd was reconstituted and the company’s Lanarkshire interests merged with the Scottish Iron & Steel Co Ltd to form Bairds and Scottish Steel Ltd.
In 1939 Bairds and Scottish Steel linked their Gartsherrie Works with the Northburn Steel Works.
With the nationalisation of the coal industry in January 1947 the locomotive passed in to the ownership of the National Coal Board (NCB).
It returned to Bairds & Scottish Steel Ltd at Gartsherrie Ironworks, Coatbridge, in about 1950 and following withdrawal, was acquired in June 1968 by Railway Preservation Society, Hednesford, Staffordshire and later went to the Chasewater Light Railway.
The locomotive is currently in store at the Chasewater Railway.
|2937 at the Chasewater Railway – November 2011|