This locomotive was built by Neilson, Reid & Co in 1901 as works number 5907 for the Bass Brewery in Burton-upon-Trent, who operated a fairly sizeable railway around the town using its own fleet of locomotives and wagons, and even at least one carriage for inspections, dignitaries etc.
It was Number 9 in the fleet whose main duty involved the hauling heavy trains of ale over the winding brewery tracks which contained many sharp curves. The locomotives were fitted with steam brakes and sanding gear and could handle up to 30 loaded wagons.
No 9 was withdrawn from service in 1964 and was put on display at the National Brewery Visitor Centre in Burton-on-Trent.
In October 2022 it was announced that the National Brewery Centre at Burton-upon-Trent was closing after the owners (Molson Coors) decided to move its headquarters into the brewery heritage building. Molson Coors committed to preserve this locomotive until a new home can be established for it.