|Power Classification||LMS 2F|
|Company||Glasgow & South Western Railway|
|Weight – Loco||t cwt|
|Driving Wheels||4ft 2ins|
|Cylinders||Two outside – 17in x 22in|
This locomotive was built by the North British Locomotive Company in 1917 as one of three class 5 engines designed by Peter Drummond for the Glasgow & South Western Railway (G&SWR) for heavy shunting duties in dock areas.
The three locomotives were built to replace elderly 0-4-0 tender locomotives on a number of freight lines which featured sharp curves and steep gradients. Number 5 was allocated to Greenock (Princes Pier) shed for dock shunting, whereas the other two were allocated to Ardrossan shed for colliery branches in the Kilwinning and Dalry area. They remained at these sheds throughout their lives in Railway ownership.
Works number 21521 became G&SWR No 9. In 1919 the G&SWR renumbered its locomotive classes and it then became a 322 class locomotive.
After grouping in 1923 it came under London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS) ownership. The LMS gave the class a power classification of 2F.
Although they were a successful design, they were a non-standard type and the LMS Northern Division had plenty of former Caledonian Railway 498 Class dock tanks, so the three locomotives were withdrawn in 1934. As they were not yet life-expired, two of the locomotives were sold to collieries and eventually became the property of the National Coal Board.
By the mid 1950s and the former number 9 was the last Glasgow and South Western Railway locomotive in existence.
Number 9 was sold to Llay Main Colliery near Wrexham where it was operated until 1962. At its peak the colliery employed 2,500 which was the largest of any mine in Wales. By 1959 the most important reserves were becoming exhausted and the numbers employed at the colliery quickly declined. The colliery closed in March 1966.
In 1963 it was acquired by British Railways for preservation and restored to G&SWR green livery. It was then displayed in the Glasgow Museum of Transport, moving with the museum from its original location in the former Coplawhill tram works to the Kelvin Hall in 1987, and then to the new Riverside Museum in 2010.
|21521 in the Riverside Museum at Glasgow – February 2015|