This locomotive was built by Peckett & Sons in 1908 to the standard M5 design. It was delivered new to Cefnstylle Colliery in South Wales.
Intially it was given the name Cefnstylle but this was changed to Cefngoleu when the colliery changed its name.
On the closure of Cefngoleu the locomotive moved to Bethlwyd Colliery but probably just for storage.
At some time in the 1910s the locomotive was loaned to the Swansea Harbour Trust for work in Swansea Docks.
In 1921 the locomotive was rebuilt by Peckett & Sons after which it was stored until 1937.
It was then bought by Whitehead, Hill and Co for use on the Oakfield Wireworks system.
When the works closed in 1966 the locomotive (by now named Whitehead) was sold to a private buyer and stored until 1971 at Highbridge when it was bought by members of the Great Western Society and moved to the West Somerset Railway.
In 1982 the locomotive was sold and moved to the Southport Railway Centre. After a six year overhaul it was returned to steam at the Preston Docks Maritime Festival before moving to the Manchester Museum of Science and Industry in 1998.
In July 1999 the locomotive was moved to the Midland Railway Centre at Butterley where it is still based.
Curently being overhauled.