This E class locomotive was built by Peckett & Sons in 1914 and was delivered new to Woolwich Arsenal where it was given the name Lion.
The railway system at Woolwich Arsenal was quite extensive and there were narrow gauge lines as well as standard gauge track. The standard gauge lines covered about 120 miles including some track that was designed to take narrow and standard gauge traffic with the outer rails being spaced for standard gauge. The railway was linked to the South Eastern Railway at Plumstead.
In 1949 the locomotive went to T. Hall & Co. (Llansamlet) Ltd and in March 1950 it moved to Wallsend Slipway & Engineering Co. Ltd.
In October 1974 the locomotive began its life in preservation at the Chasewater Railway before moving to the Foxfield Railway in January 1975.
In 1998 the locomotive moved to the Lincolnshire Wolds Railway where it worked until taken out of service for a major overhaul.
In the Autumn of 2018 it was reported that work on the locomotive had reached a stage where it was anticipated that the locomotive would be re-wheeled at Ludborough on the Lincolnshire Wolds Railway before the end of 2018.
|1351 at Lincolnshire Wolds Railway – April 2011|