This class W6 locomotive was built in 1916 by Peckett & Sons and supplied new to Cleveland Bridge and Engineering Co of Darlington. The locomotive stayed with Cleveland Bridge and Engineering Co for the whole of its working life.
By 1913 this iron and steel bridge manufacturer was amongst the largest employers in Darlington with a workforce of 600 employees.
Between the two World Wars the company extended its products to include steel structures such as power stations, hangars, pipe lines and dock gates. The company built the world’s longest bridge, across the lower Zambesi, over two miles long, and largest rail wagon, a 200-ton bogie, 93 feet in length, for the Russian government. There was also a floating landing stage, 1,100 feet long, at Tilbury, power stations for the City of London, and 17,000 tons of steel pipes to carry Calcutta’s water supply.
In the build up to war, the company was producing transportable aircraft hangars for the Air Ministry. To accommodate the increased activity the works had extended over 30 acres, with a main assembling shop 800 feet long. Large structures were temporarily put together in a four-bay erection yard, then marked with identifying symbols to make them more easily rebuilt on site.
In 1967 the company was acquired by The Cementation Company which was bought by Trafalgar House in 1970.
In the 1970s it started its life in preservation in Oswestry and remains there still under the ownership of the Cambrian Railway Society.
It is currently in a partly dismantled state at the Cambrian Heritage Railway in Oswestry.
|1430 – April 2012|