This W5 class locomotive was built in 1916 by Peckett & Sons to work at the Birmingham power station of the City of Birmingham Electric Company where it was named Nechelles No 1. The city of Birmingham had its own electricity power station until 1947 when the industry was nationalised.
In 1970 the locomotive was transferred to the Northampton power station which was part of the Central Electricity Generating Board (CEGB) by then. When transferred to Northampton 1438 was regarded as the stand by engine but it remained there until 1975 when it was withdrawn from service.
The locomotive was acquired by the Appleby Frodingham Railway Society and moved to their base on the British Steel site at Scunthorpe.
It was restored there as well as visiting heritage railways.
The locomotive was withdrawn from service in April 2018 for a major overhaul.
|1438 Appleby Frodingham Railway – December 2009|