This locomotive was built by Peckett & Sons and delivered new to M & W Grazebrook Ltd. at their Netherton Colliery & Furnaces near Dudley.
M & W Grazebrook Ltd was founded in 1750 but only became a public company in 1950, having first been made into a private company in 1914. In 1926 the company had suffered a strike which resulted in the blast furnaces being idle for nearly six months.
At some time the locomotive was sold and moved to British Celanese at Spondon. The company was not called British Celanese until 1923 despite the firm being established in 1916. The firm was set up by Henri and Camille Dreyfus of Switzerland when the brothers were invited to live in Britain by the British Government so that they could produce their recently developed cellulose acetate dope for the war effort. The canvas skins on aircraft at that time were sealed nitrocellulose dope which was ignited easily by bullets. The brothers developed the necessary plant and British Cellulose and Chemical Manufacturing Company was registered in March 1916 and the British Government patented the process. At the end of the First World War the British Government cancelled cancelled all contracts and the company changed to producing acetate fibres. In 1923 the company changed its name to British Celanese Ltd and later became the first factory in Britain to produce propylene. In 1957 the firm was taken over by Caurtaulds.
The locomotive has spent its time in preservation (from early 1970s) at the Midland Railway Centre where it is on static display in the Matthew Kirtley Museum.
|1547 at the Midland Railway Centre – May 2012|