This locomotive was built to the M5 design by Peckett & Sons in 1921. It was delivered new to the British Aluminium Company at Burntisland, Fife, where the company had opened a bauxite reduction works. There it joined another Peckett locomotive (Works No 1376) which was been preserved.
The site at Burntisland was connected to the Aberdour line.
Pectin was sold to the 6000 Locomotive Association for £225 in December 1971 and moved Bulmers at Hereford in March 1972.Here it acquired the name Pectin.
The locomotive arrived at the Yeovil Railway Centre in 1995 having had its third boiler overhaul costing some £15,000.
In 2004 the locomotive was given a full ten year overhaul at Yeovil and two years later it was gifted to the South West Main Line Steam Co as part of the winding up of th the 6000 Locomotive Association.
The locomotive was withdrawn from service again in April 2014 for another ten year overhaul.