This very small (12 ton) locomotive was built by Peckett & Sons in 1923. It was a member of the 1287 which also included narrow gauge locomotives.
The locomotive was delivered new to Marcus Bain Ltd at Mauchline in ayrshire. The company operated quarries at Mauchline which had connections to the Dumries – Glasgow railway line. The quarry had used horse power to haul wagons on the internal railway sysyem until early in the 20th century.
The locomotive was then owned by West of Scotland Shipbreaking Co at Troon in Ayreshire.
The locomotive was purchased from there by the Manchester Oxide Company at Pendleton where they had a small system serving a plant processing spent iron oxide from gas works to produce prussian blue. The plant was set up on the site of the disused Pendleton Collier screens in mid 1942 and the little Peckett had arrived at some time prior to November 1943.
In 1948 the company was taken over by Hardman & Holden of Salford but the plant ,rail sidings and locomotive continued in operation till the 1960s. The Peckett was named Marcia after Marcia Clayton the wife of James Clayton the works Managing Director.
In 1962 the locomotive was donated to the Kent & East Sussex Railway (K&ESR). It was later sold to a member and remains in his ownership. It carries the K&ESR fleet No 12.
The locomotive has steamed on the K&ESR but its size means that it has very limited pulling power. It is currently out of service awaiting major repairs.
|1631 at Rolvenden on the Kent & East Sussex Railway – June 2011|
|1631 at Rolvenden on the Kent & East Sussex Railway – May 2013|