This W6 class locomotive was built by Peckett & Sons in 1939 and it spent all of its working life at Thorsby Colliery in Nottinghamshire. The coal on this class of locomotive is stored in a compartment under the fireman’s window and the coal was dumped in using sacks and muscle.
The mine opened in 1925 by the Bolsover Colliery Company and was the last operating mine in Nottinghamshire when it closed in 2015. It was the first pit in Britain to be built with electric winding and thus the first without a chimney.
The locomotive was sent for scrap when it was no longer required at Thorsbybut in 1981 it was purchased for preservation. It was moved to the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway (GWSR) and after three and a half years it returned to steam.
It was the mainstay of passenger traffic on the GWSR until it was replaced by larger locomotives as the line grew and loads increased.
The locomotive remains at the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway.
The locomotive was reported the summer of 2020 to be undergoing an overhaul.