This OY-1 class was built by Peckett & Sons to work at the Aber Works of Courtaulds in Flint. It was one of a class of six locomotives of which four were built for Courtaulds in 1948. At the Aber Works it was named Dafydd.
The locomotive was transferred to Wolverhampton where it lost its name.
It then moved to the Red Scar plant at Preston where it was rebuilt with parts from scrapped classmate Works No 2087. Here it was given the name Miranda and remained working until replaced by a diesel in 1968.
After withdrawal the locomotive was purchased by the Lytham Creek Motive Power Museum.
In March 1980 it was transferred to the Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway but was never steamed there.
A Quainton Railway Society member purchased the locomotive in 1983, and in December of that year it was moved to Quainton.
At Quainton it has appeared in a number of liveries, both permanent and temporary. These include BR Black, London Transport and Fords. It has carried the name Gibraltar in some liveries.
During 2004 Gibraltar had a hot box, and was sent to Bill Parker’s Flour Mill restoration base for maintenance, including wheels being turned at Tyseley works.
The locomotive is now based on the Mangapps Railway Museum where it arrived in 2018.
|2087 at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre – May 2016|