This class R4 locomotive was built by Peckett & Sons in 1949 for the Southern Gas Board. It was initially based at the Blackwater Gas Works but later moved to the Hilsea Gas Works at Portsmouth.
After being taken out of service at Hilsea the locomotive was taken into the ownership of the Portsmouth Museum.
It then appears that the locomotive spent some time at the East Anglia Railway Museum as it was reported as being there by the Industrial Railway Society in 2006. It then moved to the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre where it was steamed.
At the end of September 2016 the locomotive moved to the Helston Railway who had purchased it.
The locomotive was then dismantled and an overhaul commenced.
The aim is to have the locomotive operational during 2018.
|2100 at the Southern Gas Board works at Hilsea – May 1971|