This class OX4 locomotive was built by Peckett & Sons in 1954 to work at the Birchenwood Gas and Coke works at Kidsgrove in Staffordshire. It spent all of its working life there as Birchenwood No 5 until it was withdrawn from service in May 1973.
By 1953 the Birchenwood coking plant was supplying 5,000,000 cubic feet of gas to the West Midlands Gas Board. With the introduction of North Sea gas this became an outdated method of producing gas and the plant stopped operating in May 1973.
The last of the coke was shunted out of the plant in July 1973 by the one remaining steam train left on the site. This was also the last time a steam locomotive was used for industrial work in Staffordshire
The locomotive was then preserved at Steamport, the Southport Railway Museum, which was based in the old Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway engine shed at Southport.
Steamport closed in 1999 and most of the collection including this Peckett engine were transferred to the Ribble Steam Railway.
The locomotive then moved to the Caledonian Railway at Brechin where it remains. It is currently dismantled as part of its restoration.
|2153 at Birchenwood Gas & Coke Co, Kidsgrove – June 1971|
|2153 at Steamport Southport – August 1989|