This Peckett & Sons class W4 locomotive was built in 1896 for Colvilles Ltd at Mossend.
William Beardmore & Co was founded in 1886 when an earlier partnership was dissolved following the death of his father and the retirement of his brother. At its peak in the mid-1930s the organisation employed 40,000 people.
The Mossend Engineering Works was built as Mossend Steeworks by William Beardmore and Co Ltd to make steel for munitions during the First World War.
It was acquired by Colvilles Ltd in 1934. This company had been created three years earlier with the amalgamation of David Colville and James Dunlop and Co. This was part of a plan to merge all Scottish steel-makers in to rationalise the industry.
In 1967 the organisation became part of British Steel. In February of that year Colvilles Ltd presented the engine to the Locomotive Club of Great Britain (LCGB).
The locomotive moved to the Sittingbourne & Kemsley Light Railway (SKLR) in August 1971 from storage at the Scottish Railway Preservation Society at Falkirk.
In 1996 the ownership of the locomotive was transferred to the SKLR where it is on static display.