This locomotive was built by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorh in 1938 for use at the Appleby Froddingham Steel Works in Scunthorpe.
In 1961 the locomotive was purchased by the National Coal Board (NCB). Gedling Colliery in Nottinghamshire. Gedling was one of the biggest mines in Britain in terms of manpower as it employed about 2,000 men in the 1950s and 1960s.
In 1969 the locomotive was purchased by Mr Hibbert who converted locomotive from saddle tank to side tank and equipped it with vacuum brakes.
Around 1974 the locomotive was sold to the Leander group at the Great Central Railway at Loughborough.
In the early 1980s the locomotive moved to Steamtown at Carnforth which is now the base for West Coast Rail. The locomotive was steamed at Carnforth but was undergoing an overhaul when it was purchased for display at Darlington.
The locomotive has been owned by the Darlington Preservation Society since 1987 and is housed their building next to the Darlington Railway Museum.