This locomotive was built by Robert Stephenson & Hwthorn in 1948. It has 12in x 20in outside cylinders, 3ft 1in diameter driving wheels and weighs 21 Tons. It was delivered new to Newcastle upon Tyne & Gateshead Gas Co at the Redheugh Gas Works in Gateshead.
The locomotive was given the name Sir Cecil A Cochrane after a Liberal MP who was elected to Parliament as the representative for South Shield in 1916. He resigned in 1918. The records for 1923 show him as being Chairman of Bolsover Colliery Co Ltd and Newbiggin Colliery Co Ltd as well as being a Director of Blackwell Colliery Co Ltd, Consett Iron Co Ltd and Nunnery Colliery Co Ltd. He was knighted in 1933 and died in 1960.
Redheugh Gas Works came under the ownership of the Northern Gas Board in January 1949.
The Redheugh Gas Works at Gateshead covered 25 acres. The whole site was densely developed: a network of rail tracks, tanks, workshops, gas holders, chimneys and other installations filled the site between the Tanfield Branch railway and the River Tyne.
In 1953 the locomotive was registered by the Railway Executive to operate over British Railways track in the exchange sidings.
In June 1971 the locomotive was bought by the Stephenson & Hawthorns Locomotive Trust and stored at the National Coal Board shed at Backworth six miles north of Newcastle.
In August 1975 the locomotive moved to the Tanfield Railway at Marley Hill and has been in regular use ever since. This has involved undergoing a number of ten year overhauls.
In 1998 the locomotive had the distinction of being the first Standard Gauge steam locomotive to receive a new boiler in preservation. This is an all-welded boiler (which it still carries) and was constructed by Winson Engineering.
The locomotive had a speedy overhauled in 2008 which only took four months to complete.
Since 2008 the locomotive was in regular use on the Tanfield Railway again and was also loaned to Beamish Museum for a short time.
Following a re-tubing of the boiler the locomotive was back in service again in June 2011.