This locomotive was built by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn in 1948 to work at the Norwood Coke Works in Dunston near Gateshead.
The site of Norwood Coke Works became part of the 1990 Gateshead National Garden Festival and is now home to the Festival Park housing estate.
The locomotive has the distinction of being the last working steam locomotive not in preservation in the North East of England when it finished work in the late 1970s.
It was then owned for a time by Sunderland Council.
Norwood was the first steam locomotive to arrive at the Weardale Railway. The locomotive was then given to the Weardale Locomotive Preservation Group (WLPG) under a 10 year loan agreement from the Bowes Railway in Gateshead.
In 2006 the WLPG completed the purchase of the locomotive to secure it for eventual use on the Weardale branch.
The locomotive was subsequently moved to Rail Restorations North East at Shildon where work on restoring the locomotive to steam began.
It is planned that the locomotive will operate on the Weardale Railway.
The locomotive is now owned by the Durham Locomotive Preservation Group.
As of the summer of 2020 the locomotive was being restored at Locomotion at Shildon.