This locomotive was built by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn in 1951 is thought to have been delivered new to Meaford Power Station near Stone in Staffordshire. It was used to shunt coal waggons and to transfer them exchange sidings with the main line and the boiler-house coal bunkers.
Meaford A was completed in 1948 and work started on the construction of Meaford B in 1951. Meaford B opened in 1957. The station was initially operated by the Central Electricity Authority and then the Central Electricity Generating Board (CEGB) when that was established in 1957.
Regular steam working at the power station ceased in 1972 and tenders were invited for the disposal of the locomotive.
The locomotive was purchased from the CEGB by the East Lancs Railway and hauled their first trains at Bury in August 1987. After a period in store, it was overhauled at Bury and purchased for the Stephenson Railway Museum in 1996.
In May 2000 the locomotive was given the name Ted Garrett JP, DL, MP 1920-1993. Ted Garrett was a Labour Party politician who was a councillor on Northumberland County Council and Prudhoe Urban District Council. He contested the seat at Hexham in 1955 and Doncaster in 1959. He was Member of Parliament for Wallsend from 1964 until he retired in 1992.
The locomotive last steamed in 2004 and is currently on static display awaiting an overhaul.