This locomotive was built by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn in 1952 and it worked at the Ely Paper works at Cardiff for all of its industrial life. At the paper works it operated on private sidings which had links to mainline.
After it finished its working life it joined the collection of the National Museum of Wales who loaned it to the Caerphilly Railway Society who were based in the former GWR works at Caerphilly. When the society was evicted from Caerphilly the locomotive was moved to Barry Island Railway (BIR).
In 2008 the locomotive was bought by BIR members but by then work was well underway in restoring it.
In 2008 the council decided that the operation of the Barry Island Railway should be opened to a bidding process and the Vale of Glamorgan Railway (VGR) group who owned 7705 were unsuccessful and therefore lost control of the facilities and track at Barry. All of the VGR stock then had to leave the railway at Barry.
In January 2009 the Vale of Glamorgan Railway decided to relocate to Garw Valley Railway (GVR) at Pontycymer.
The Garw Valley Railway aim is open a stretch of line between Pontycymer and Bryngarw Park in Brynmenyn, near Bridgend. This will be the longest heritage route in South Wales at around four-and-a-half miles. The project currently has a train shed at Pontycymer, and hopes to initially offer brake van rides between Pontycymer and Pant-y-Gog, a distance of half a mile.
The locomotive is currently being restored at Pontycymer, with the boiler work being undertaken at the Severn Valley Railway and the South Devon Railway.