This locomotive was built in 1954 by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn for the National Coal Board (NCB). It has 17in x 24in outside cylinders and 3ft 10in diameter wheels, with a weight of 45 tons.
It was delivered new to the NCB locomotive depot at Blackworth in Northumberland where it became No 44. Like many industrial locomotives it had to work over British Railways (BR) lines and was therefore registered with the Railway Executive and later the British Transport Commission. It also meant that the locomotive was regularly inspected by BR.
As well as carrying the number 44 the locomotive also carried the NCB plant number so was identified as 9103/44.
In December 1967 the locomotive was sent to NCB Ashington Central Workshops for overhaul and whilst it was there it was repainted in the NCB Northumberland Area dark blue unlined livery with the area crest. After running in at Ashington locomotive shed, it returned to Backworth in steam over BR track in August 1968.
From May 1973 until October 1974 the locomotive was loaned to the NCB Burradon locomotive depot.
The locomotive was bought through the Stephenson and Hawthorns Locomotive Trust in March 1975 whilst it was based at Backworth.
In February 1976 the locomotive was moved to Burradon locomotive sheds where it was stored until February 1977.
The locomotive was moved to the Tanfield Railway at Marley Hill in June 1980. The saddle tank was then taken off so that the asbestos boiler lagging could be removed.
It has not operated since it arrived at the Tanfield Railway and is awaiting restoration there.
|7760 at Eccles Collierey, Backworth – September 1971|