This locomotive was built in 1954 by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn for the national Coal Board (NCB). It was built with 18in x 24in outside cylinders, 4ft diameter wheels and weighs 53 tons.
It was the first of a batch of seven identical locomotives built for the NCB to work on the extensive rail network at Ashington in Northumberland. The NCB Ashington system served the collieries of Ashington, Ellington, Linton, Lynemouth and Woodhorn, as well as Longhurst and Coneygarth Drift Mines. There was a double tracked, 8.5 mile, circular main line and both coal and miner′s passenger trains were operated round the clock. The line was also used by British Railways (BR) trains.
The locomotive was fitted with a turbo generator and electric headlight for use there and carried the No 38.
It was sent from Ashington to the NCB Linton Workshops in May 1958 for repair, before returning to Ashington. However, all was not well and it was sent to the NCB Ashington Central Workshops in December 1958 for further repair which were completed in September 1959.
In November 1962 it returned to the Ashington Central Workshops for overhaul which enabled the locomotive to be returned to traffic in March 1963.
In March 1968 it went back to Ashington Central Workshops for overhaul, where it was repainted in the NCB Northumberland area dark blue livery with the area crest. It carried itsr NCB plant number 9312/38 stamped on its front buffer beam.
By October 1968 it had returned to duties, but was sent to NCB Shilbottle Colliery in North Northumberland in October 1969. Here it worked the two mile long branch to join BR at a junction just south of Alnmouth Station.
By May 1971 the locomotive was to be found at the nearby Whittle Colliery where the steeply graded open air.
In My 1972 the locomotive returned to Shilbottle Colliery from where it was bought through the Stephenson and Hawthorns Locomotive Trust and moved to the Tanfield Railway at Marley Hill in November 1973.
At Marley Hill it was restored to working order and painted in its original livery of lined black.
In the early 2000s the locomotive was withdrawn from service and disassembled.
In 2011 the locomotive was re-assembled and placed in store on the Tanfeld Railway.