This locomotive was one of two built in 1954 by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn to work at the Castle Donnington Power Station on the River Trent In Leicestershire. The other locomotive was RSH 7818 which has also been preserved.
Construction of the coal fired power station at Castle Donnington commenced in 1951 and the station was opened in 1958. It cost £30m to build and at that time was the biggest power station in western Europe.
Although the locomotives were replaced by diesel traction the locomotives were retained on the site so that in April 1988 they were used to haul empty waggons for an Industrial Railway Society event at Castle Donninghton.
It is claimed that 7817 was the last industrial steam locomotive working in Britain as late as 1990.
7817 entered preservation at the Midland Railway Centre in the 1990s. It worked there until its boiler certificate expired after which it was overhauled and returned to traffic.
It spent some time on loan at the Colne Valley Railway.
The locomotive is now on display in the Exhibition Hall at Swanwick Junction awaiting major overhaul.